Sunday 22 November 2015

Happy News: New Job!

    I have some great news to share! This Monday I will be starting my first day at my new job. Which means my days of slinging coffee for Starbucks has ended. I am really looking forward to going into a calmer work environment, where I don't end the day smelling of coffee and hard work! I also had to learn how to properly do a tie, which thankfully did not take too long. The site ties.com was super helpful, and I found it to be much easier to learn from instructional pictures than Youtube videos.
   
    So, the job I am starting is as a customer service representative for one of the big 6 Canadian banks. For the time being though, I will not be disclosing which one, as I don't want anyone to think that I am introducing bias into my stock picks when selecting, or making watchlists. As an investor, I go for the companies which I think will do best for my portfolio, and as it stands I still intend to fill out my portfolio with roughly equal weightings on my big three, Royal Bank, TD and Scotia.

    Now, working for a bank comes with some perks, such as a free chequeing account, no fees! So, I'll be saving a few dollars off the bat from that. There are also some other benefits, but those wont kick in for a few months, and I still need to learn more about what is offered. I will be making some more money per hour, which I am hoping will translate nicely into a higher natural savings rate. As well as more frequent stock purchases for my portfolio! And with a little luck, I'll pick up some good advice and article ideas to share on here.

    Naturally, this is an exciting role for me, as it allows me to start gaining experience within the financial industry. I am hoping that the bank will assist me in my goal of working towards a Certified Financial Planner designation.

12 comments:

  1. Congrats on the new job. I'm sure you'll crush it with your new job and advance fast!! I have Canadian Bank stocks on my portfolio. You take care of the companies for me, bro! hahah :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I really appreciate the positive thoughts! And I will definitely do my best to promote my new workplace :)

      Delete
  2. Congrats DW. I didnt know you were working for Starbucks...mustve missed it. Im sure you will enjoy the change of pace, now working for on the Big Banks.
    Getting a CFP will also be great for your career - I wish you the best in working towards that goal.

    cheers
    R2R

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Yup, been slinging those coffees the past couple of years. I think its mentioned in my About Me page, which I did update a few weeks ago and will now have to do so again lol. And certainly, the CFP will help. And I am angling to get myself a head as quickly as possibly since I have the CSC done already, which is a first step to CFP. Even in the interview, they said you have the CSC already which is great, but not required ^_^ It will be fun this December making my new 2015 goals.

      Delete
  3. Did you get any Starbucks stock while you were working there :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup! I have a few shares I need to sell since they are restricted stock units and I will lose them within a certain amount of time if I dont. Its been a great year for Sbux stocks though!

      Delete
  4. Congratulations on the new job! Best of luck today as you start your new journey!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! Already enjoying it a lot and am very enthusiastic for the future!

      Delete
  5. Congrats DW. Bankers hours are better than Starbucks too, I bet. No more nights and Sundays, right?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Hours are sorta better. The particular Starbucks location I worked at was actually under a bank building, so was Mon-Friday, and done by 8pm at the latest. So, technically I now have to work Saturdays lol But, it sure does feel good going into work in a suit/dress shirt!

      Delete
  6. Congrats! Welcome in the bank industry! You'll surely learn a lot while you're there too! ;-)

    Mike

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Looking forward to continually learning for sure!

      Delete